[NCLUG] PPP and IP addresses

Charles Clarke clarke at clarkecomputer.com
Fri Jan 11 15:02:53 MST 2002

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt is the DHCP RFC.

If you are renewing a lease, you don't specify your address, the
server knows it.  If rebooting, you do request the old address.
You can use the old until it expires or you get a decline from the
server in response to a request.

Unless configured specially by the admin, most DHCP servers will renew the
same IP address as long as you want.

Most clients don't release the old address unless they know they are
moving between subnets.

ATT Broadband (which I just cancelled due to them cancelling my new
account that I had gotten after the old one didn't work for 30 days and
most of the tech support being idiots - they wanted me to wait 1.5 weeks
for a new modem to be brought by a truck to replace my current modem
because "the modem is associated with the account")  would give an initial
lease of 1 hour and then when you renewed would give you a lease of 4
days.  Now, in my view, 4 days kinda defeats most of the benefits of DHCP.
Assuming most folks would be on less than 8 hours a day, you could, at
least, double the # of machines that could be supported by a set # of IP
addresses by setting the lease time to 4 hours(which most would renew
after 2).

charles

 Domain hosting from $15/month with error log analysis and link checking.
 http://www.clarkecomputer.com/sig.html       domains at clarkecomputer.com