[NCLUG] dosemu

Daniel Herrington danielh at ftc.agilent.com
Mon Jan 14 09:19:34 MST 2002

All this talk about wine and emulation has gotten me to thinking.
I have dosemu 1.0.2 (I think) installed on my box.  I have the
corresponding freedos.  I can run a couple of dos apps, but the ones
that I'd really like to be able to run are my good ole OrCAD and
PADS-PCB programs -- for designing small to medium circuit boards.

I can run them using xdosemu, but the mouse behaves very poorly.  If I
try to run them in a virtual console with dosemu, they show the first
few text lines of startup code, but then nothing happens.  I figure it
must be related to these programs accessing the video in some
video-bios specific way.

Which brings me to my questions:  is anyone else having much luck
running dosemu with graphical apps & mouse?  What tricks can I try?
(I already tried changing a couple of variables in the dosemu.conf,
but maybe they weren't the right ones to try.)  Also, is there a way
to get it to dump a core file or some helpful debug info?  Is there a
better dos emulator out there?

By the way, I already tried VMware, and it wouldn't work with OrCAD,
and the emulation for PADS-PCB was extremely slow and unresponsive.

Thanks,
  Daniel

Agilent Technologies          Email: danielh at ftc.agilent.com
4380 S. Ziegler Road 	      Phone: 970-288-0661
MS 72			      Fax:   970-288-6580
Fort Collins, CO  80525-9790  http://www.frii.com/~dherr/