[NCLUG] Linux on Sun Hardware

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Jan 21 09:56:58 MST 2002

Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:38:52PM +0000, Stephen G. Smith wrote:
> > Can someone please recommend a decent SPARC supported
> > distro?
>
> Debian, obviously :-)  SuSE don't, Conectiva don't, Mandrake don't, Turbo
> don't.  Slackware seem to be doing a Sparc port, but I couldn't recommend
> Slackware to anyone.

You cut me, Matt.  You cut me real deep... :)

Back when I was trying to get a SS2 running, I tried Red Hat, OpenBSD,
and NetBSD.  In general, I wasn't overly impressed with Linux on the
Sparc platform.  I finally stuck with NetBSD, and I haven't gone back.

The state of SPARC ports has advanced greatly in the last couple months,
though -- as evidenced by Slackware putting out a port, I should think.
Also, since you are using significantly higher-end hardware than I was,
you will probably have an easier time than I did.