[NCLUG] Anti-Trust

Daniel Herrington danielh at ftc.agilent.com
Fri Jan 25 09:52:07 MST 2002

Maybe I'm missing something, but after reading the related documents
on the anti-trust case, I was shocked to hear the specific malicious
actions Microsoft performed against Netscape and Sun, yet I couldn't
find anything about damages being paid to Netscape and Sun, or any
other litigants.  It sounded like this:

"Bad, bad Microsoft.  You stole lots and lots of money from many, many
people.  It was wrong.  Stop doing it within the next 12 months or as
soon as Windows XP service pack 1 is released.
... oh, by the way, don't worry about giving the stolen money back to
the (now) poor man.  Enjoy the castle, fancy cars, fine wine, etc."

Did I miss something?  Was this a lame judgment, or what?  Yeah, it
might stop Microsoft from continuing to steal money in the same ways
it has in the past, but Microsoft still has the millions and billions
of dollars it stole in the first place!  Is this all the justice my
tax dollars will pay for?

I guess maybe an anti-trust judgment is not meant to repay damages,
but instead, only to stop the crime from continuing to occur.  How
sad.

Just my 2 cents,
Daniel

=> Replying to bill ehlert's message, "RE: [NCLUG] Anti-Trust"
=> (sent Jan 24 @ 22:03 -0800):