[NCLUG] Help needed with Linux login

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Jan 27 14:04:07 MST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:41:00AM -0500, Rcochranem at aol.com wrote:
>[mack at localhost mack]$

As others have mentioned, you probably want to start X-windows to get the
GUI environment.

I'd strongly recommend you get a slightly more recent distribution though.
For example, Mandrake is up to 8.2 or so right now.  Mandrake 7.2 is at
least a year old, probably more.  I've had a little time to play with a
more recent Mandrake system, and I must say that it's got quite a few
improvements.

I installed KRUD 7.2 (basically, a slightly updated RedHat 7.2) for my mom,
and set it up with KDE, and she *LOVES* it.  I don't think she's booted
back into Windows since I installed the dual-boot system after doing a
re-load of Windows for her (it had gotten totally crufty).

 But I woke up when somone slammed the door so hard I fell outta bed
 screaming "Mama's little baby loves shortnin' bread".  -- Aerosmith