[NCLUG] scsi mix and match

rotering at animlacules.com rotering at animlacules.com
Wed Jan 30 12:05:14 MST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:13:24AM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> My understanding is that the drive is backwards compatible with the ultra
> wide interface. Thus, I would think it will work. Am I correct?

Assuming it has a 68 pin connector, yup.

> I'm totally confused as to which cable to purchase. Can I use a SE (single
> ended) 68-pin ultra wide cable or must I get the more expensive LVD ribbon
> cable?

Any single-ended device hung on an LVD bus will cause the whole bus to
go into single-ended mode.  Since the 2940UW is a single-ended device,
I see no reason to get the LVD cable.

> The drive lacks termination, so I assume that I must also purchase a
> terminator for either cable and jumper the terminator power on the drive.
> Is that true?

I know that modern drives are supposed to be able to self-terminate
(via the jumper you mention), but I always feel more comfortable with
a "real" terminator.

HTH.

-Paul