[NCLUG] how to 'ping' a MAC address ?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Jul 4 00:44:10 MDT 2002

	Hi,

	Does anyone know how I could "ping" a machine if all I had was its MAC
	address ?

	The scenario in which this would be useful: two machines on the same
	network come up with the same IP address by accident. I don't know
	which one of a few hundred machines the impostor really is, but I have
	a tree of switches and if I could send some packets to the impostor's MAC
	I could follow the blinkenlights on the switches and find out which port
	it's attached to...

	So, how would you go about firing off a burst of packets directed at a
	MAC rather than at an IP ?

	Thanks,

	Gabriel

Use arp to assign a temporary address on other machines for that mac.

	#  arp -s 192.168.0.66 08:00:09:57:7D:B1

Have Fun,
John