[NCLUG] dead drive

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Mon Jul 15 15:38:58 MDT 2002

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 12:05 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 08:38:05PM -0600, mike cullerton wrote:
>>  any ideas to try? do i have any chance of getting data off the drive?
>
> Is the drive spinning up?  Sometimes older drives will fail to spin up,
> and
> whacking them can cause them to spin up and run for a while...

it's definitely spinning. macos x knows it's there, just can't deal with
it. when i run fsck, it sees the volume, knows it's hfsplus, gets through
"Checking Extents Overflow file" (whatever that is), starts checking the
catalog and that's when it horks with "Invalid node structure".

> If you don't have backups and want the data off, you might try a hard
> drive
> recovery place.  We had tried one of the big ones a few years ago to have
> them pull data off a DDS tape in which a full backup had been overwritten
> by an incremental.  They were kind of confused, but eventually were able
> recover the data.  If you don't select one of the "urgent" options, it can
> even be somewhat inexpensive, costing only several hundred dollars...

ya, this was the option i was hoping to avoid. i think it's time to buy a
new drive and save this one for when i have time to figure it out.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.