[NCLUG] New 80GB maxtor won't fdisk...

mbutcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Tue Jul 16 20:10:51 MDT 2002

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 07:30 pm, Michael Crosiar wrote:
> Ok, I moved the drive from hdc to hdb, and it
> fdisk/setup fine. I next went to install grub stage1
> on the mbr of '(hd1)' using grub-install, but must
> have messed something up, because now neither drive
> will boot!! help!

That's a little terse... what drives won't boot? If you installed grub on
hdb, why would hdc boot? I'm very confused.

Anyway... if you install grub from grub shell, here's how you would do it,
assuming you were going to boot from the first partition of hdb.
# grub
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
grub> quit

make sure you have all the other grub stuff in hdb1 (hd1,0) like menu.lst and
all of that.

HTH,

Matt