[NCLUG] Judy info, for the curious

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Wed Jul 17 18:00:21 MDT 2002

marciot writes...

> It's starting to look like HP didn't really invent this, but rather
> put together a really nice implementation and API for it. I don't see
> why someone couldn't put together something like it for Linux, without
> even having to look at HP's code.

That's not the impression I've gotten from the team of engineers that work
on it that sit in the next aisle over from us in the Linux lab. I'm sure
they'd love to talk to you about it, I will invite them to give a
presentation at NCLUG.

> The white paper writes that "patents pending on the Judy Technology."
> Makes me wonder how much this patent will cover and whether this will
> make it difficult to write a adaptive-trie implementation without
> infringing on their patents.

I haven't looked into the details yet but with the release under the LGPL
I'm sure HP will be licensing the patents in a similar manner.

I'll encourage them to setup a mailing list where you can ask these kind of
questions.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com