[NCLUG] Linux-friendly DVD writer ?

dann frazier dannf at dannf.org
Wed Jul 17 19:36:44 MDT 2002

hey Gabriel,
A guy at work has been messing around with this & he recommends +RW.
(conflict of interest warning: we work for a company that sells +RW
 DVD products).  The following is what he has discovered so far from
experimentation & talking w/ the developers in question.

cdrecord has support for -RW, but that is a commercial addon.
The cdrecord maintainer is planning on adding support for +RW, but
the licensing for this is TBD.

You can write +RW or +R with cdrecord or dvdrecord, but you will only
be able to read the media in a +RW writer.  This just happens to work -
the resulting media is supposedly out of spec when written by current
versions of cdrecord.  dvdrecord & cdrecord seem to have the same
limitations.