[NCLUG] Bar code scanner

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Jul 18 17:00:54 MDT 2002

Wayne Schneider wrote:
> I am looking for a bar code scanner to create a video
 > ckeck out system.  I am currently running Debian "Woody".
 > Is there anyone that can give me a few pointers,
 > suggestions on which one to buy or lead in the right
 > direction.

For commercial use or for personal use?  The reason I ask is I ask what
you are willing to pay for, and what you are willing to put up with...

The cueCat has the right price, certainly.  But it isn't really the
easiest scanner to use.  If you want something fast, go for the scanning
gun-type scanners instead of wands.

After that, most operate using a 'wedge'.  This device sits between your
keyboard and you CPU.  Then, all it does is insert the bars it reads
into the keyboard stream, optionally followed by a CR or something...

(*grumble* stupid roommate made a code39 barcode that read "rm -fr .")

The cueCat can be 'declawed' so that it functions as a wand and wedge in
one.  This is very nice for a personal video collection, but I wouldn't
use it for a commercial application.  In general, since they pretend to
be connected directly to the keyboard, Linux doesn't know the
difference.  Other readers, like the WASP ones I've seen, connect to a
serial or parallel port, and do require a bit more of a driver...

Hope this helps a little.  I've done a little research into barcoding,
so I might be able to answer any more-specific questions you might have.