[NCLUG] tar questions

rosing at peakfive.com rosing at peakfive.com
Fri Jul 26 09:58:58 MDT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to debug someone's mess in India and would appreciate some
help figuring out all the things that can possibly go wrong with tar.

This guy in India has a CD with a tar file on it.  I think there's
only one tar file on it but I might be wrong.  The tar file should
contain 3 files, brasm, brlink, and brdbg.  When they run

  tar -xvf /mnt/cdrom/beast*.exe.tar

they get

 tar : archive contains future timestamps 2002-06-12 07:56:28
 brasm
 tar : brasm cannot open : file exists
 tar : archive contains future timestamps 2002-06-12 07:56:28
 brlink
 tar : brlink cannot open : file exists
 tar : archive contains future timestamps 2002-06-12 07:56:28
 brdbg
 tar : brdbg cannot open : file exists
 tar : Errpr exit delayed from previous errors

Their machine probably has the wrong system time.  Will this cause
problems?  Or should they just use -xvmf?  And what do the errors

 tar : brasm cannot open : file exists
 tar : brlink cannot open : file exists
 tar : brdbg cannot open : file exists

mean?  What does opening a file mean with tar -x?  Is that what it's
trying to create?

I don't know if he has permission to write in the directory or what
else is in the directory.

Thanks,

Matt