[NCLUG] Mouse Sticks to Widgets After Upgrade to RH 7.3

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Mon Jun 10 15:12:29 MDT 2002

On Monday 10 June 2002 08:58 am, Mike Loseke wrote:

> CPU states:  0.7% user,  1.9% system,  0.0% nice, 97.2% idle

Mem:    94320K av,   87360K used,    6960K free
Swap:  265032K av,   42188K used,  222844K free

So, memory isn't much of an issue here. I've sort of found out that KDE isn't
as slow as I initially thought -- it's mostly Konqueror that's slow. When the
system is idle the CPU line in "top" reads:

CPU states:  9.0% user,  1.5% system,  0.0% nice, 89.3% idle

However, when I open Konqueror to a page full of links and wiggle my mouse
over the links, it jumps to as much as 50.0% user. Mozilla doesn't fair much
better, bringing the load up to 66.0%. One thing I've noticed is that
Konqueror has a lot of little frills when you mouse over a link, such as
automatically underlining links it, changing the cursor, or showing the URL
on the status bar. I've managed to get somewhat better response by turning
off as many of these as possible.

Anyhow, the only other thing I'm suspicious about is graphics. I have an "ATI
3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X" card in the machine, but I'm not sure if it is running
in accelerated mode. XConfigurator says that the "X Server" for this is
"XF86_Mach64", but when I do a "top", all I see is "X" -- is this a problem?
Should "XF86_Mach64" be running instead? Is there any program under Linux
that lets me check whether indeed accelerated video is active?

Marcio Luis Teixeira