[NCLUG] Need help identifying a mystery network

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Wed Jun 12 13:49:13 MDT 2002

Today I just received a 802.11b card and set it up on my laptop. I do not have
an access point at home, so I wasn't expecting to get a connection, but much
to my amusement I got a moderately strong signal and my machine was assigned
an IP address via DHCP (though, alas, I cannot connect to anywhere). The
network name is "linksys", which I assume is the brand of the wireless access
point. Anyhow, I'm a bit curious to know whose network I'm getting connected
to, but so far I haven't found anything out. The IP address I get assigned is
a class B address in the network 169.254.0.0 . I did a "whois" search and I
get the following information:

IANA (NETBLK-LINKLOCAL)
   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
   4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
   Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695
   US

   Netname: LINKLOCAL
   Netblock: 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255

   Coordinator:
      Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers  (IANA-ARIN)
res-ip at iana.org

Does anyone know who these people are? Why do I end up on their network? I
really doubt I'm getting a signal all the way from California :) Do these
people outsource IP addresses to some local access provider and perhaps one
of my neighbors subscribes to that provider and has a wireless access point
in their home? Do any of you guys recognize the IP address as belonging to
some local ISP?

Also, are there any techniques or software that I can use to find the source
of the signal? I think it might be a fun project to drive around in my car
and try triangulate the source of the signal, perhaps based on signal
strength (or, I could, alternatively, get a life, but that wouldn't be nearly
as much fun). Then I could knock on their door and tell them to lock down
their network so bored people like me won't keep mucking around with it :)

Marcio Luis Teixeira