[NCLUG] Music on DVD player

Gabriel L Somlo somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU
Fri Jun 14 11:23:47 MDT 2002

Idris,

You do not need to *mount* a "normal" music CD in order to play music,
as the data on it isn't organized into files. What happens when you
play audio CDs is that a command is sent to the drive, which then
plays the CD and generates *analog* audio all by itself. This analog
audio is then sent directly to your soundcard over a dedicated cable,
and never gets on the IDE or SCSI bus.

Anyway, to make a long story short, you need to fire up your favorite
CD player software, insert the audio CD (but don't try to mount it),
then press play and it should all work.

Of course, if your CD contains a real filesystem with .wav or .mp3
files on it, it's an entirely different story, but those would be
*data* CDs where the data just happens to be music, not audio CDs in
the classic sense...

Hope this helps,

Gabriel

     Gabriel L.  Somlo                   Assistant System Administrator
Computer Science Department
 Colorado State University               e-mail: somlo at cs.colostate.edu
  601 Howes St. 2nd Floor                 phone: +1 (970) 491-5305
  Fort Collins,  CO 80523