[NCLUG] ISDN hardware and configuration

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Jun 15 16:50:32 MDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:28:17PM -0600, dobbster wrote:
>I've never touched ISDN in my life, and I know virtually nothing about
>it.  Apparently I have to learn, fast.  Do any of you have suggestions

Use a router that will do the job for you.  They tend to work really well,
though I think the NetGear has had some issues with doing NAT in the past.
Sounds like Frank has a handle on that.

You basically just have to set all the appropriate values in the router for
the phone numbers of each channel, configure NAT, dial-on-demand and
bandwidth on demand, and off you go.

The super nice thing is that ISDN connections usually take only a second or
two to make (unlike modem connections which take 30+ seconds).  As I
understand your environment, ISDN with dial-on-demand (make a connection
when a packet is trying to go out) plus bandwidth on demand (only dial one
connection, unless we get a bunch of traffic, then bring up the second
line) works really well and is much nicer on the ISP...

>for cheap, reliable hardware?  We were thinking of just buying
>something from eBay.

You can't get cheaper than free.  I've got a Netgear ISDN router+4 port
switch that you're welcome to have.  The only problem is that I don't know
that I have a password for it.  If there's some way of doing password
recovery, it should work fine for you...

>masqueraded network running through a modem that won't go above 33kbps
>as a result of poor semi-rural phone lines.  It's a bit slow. :-)

IDSL should have also been an option for you, the nice thing about that is
you get a little extra speed (the signaling channel is used for data as
well), and it's an "always on" connection.  It's basically just DSL ideas
applied to ISDN.

 The "PEANUTS" gang finds their first root-kit in "YOU'RE AN 3L33T H4CK3R
 NOW, CHARLIE BROWN".