[NCLUG] Experiences with x10 home automation system?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sun Jun 16 08:44:43 MDT 2002

Hi,

I have a really old HP IIID LaserJet printer at home. I keep it turned off
while not in use, because the manual says it consumes 170 watts when in
standby mode (and a whopping 940 watts while printing!). However, I would
like my Linux print queue to be able to cycle the power on the printer, so I
wouldn't have to do so myself. If the x10 home automation system performs as
advertized, I think it would be just what the doctor ordered. I would just
add a serial controller to my Linux box and a control module to the printer
(it looks like the SR227 wall outlet can handle the wattage).

Have any of you guys have had any experience with these x10 devices? They seem
almost too good to be true and *plus* there seems to be Linux drivers written
for it. Does anyone have any experiences with these gadgets? Are their any
gotchas to watch out for?

I think these devices might also be awesome for remotely rebooting computers
-- does anyone know if these controllers provide clean enough power for doing
so? It seems like they are primarily build for lamps, TVs and other low-tech
appliances.

Marcio Luis Teixeira