[NCLUG] serialization question

Larry Butler larry_butler at hp.com
Wed Jun 26 14:42:36 MDT 2002

Hello all,

I have some questions that I hope you can answer w.r.t.  char device drivers
in 2.4.  I'm a bit rusty.  Much has changed since 2.0 when I last did this
kind of stuff.

First, I'm looking at some code that suggests that calls to open and release
are serialized in a given driver.  Please confirm or deny.

Second, if I deny multiple openers and don't sleep in write or ioctl, can I
expect that calls to write and ioctl to be serialized?  I would expect not
(even with the restriction on multiple openers) since a process can fork and
its child could write while the parent is writing.  However, I have at least
one example of code that does some pretty involved poking at hardware without
any precautions.

Third, where in the Rubini book are the answers?  I must be blind.  I can't
find them.

Thanks,
Larry