[NCLUG] hey all you gcc-philes

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Tue Mar 5 10:58:42 MST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:59:30AM -0700, Mike Loseke wrote:

>  Of the gcc3 releases, which is considered okey-dokey? Is gcc-3.0.4 cool
> and considered the go ahead?

As always, `It Depends'.  I don't believe there are major regressions
versus 2.95.x, but there are some `interesting' issues, particularly
around c++.  I don't believe it's recommended for compiling the kernel
with on x86 yet, for another example.  Caveat compilor...

Having said that, we've built 90% of debian with gcc 3.0 on PA, so it
clearly works for some packages :-)  Also, 3.0.4 is extremely likely to
be the last release in the 3.0 stream, since 3.1 has branched and all
effort will now go towards stabilising that.