[NCLUG] Installing sound

Scott Kleihege scottkly at fry.com
Fri Mar 15 01:45:00 MST 2002

</lurk>

Hello All,

I'm trying to install a ES1878 sound card on a laptop running SuSE 6.4.
I'm able to play audio CD's just fine but I have problems playing .au, .wav, or .mp3 files.
When I cat an au file > /dev/audio, it plays the sample followed by a burst of static.  Alsa's aplay just crashes when I try to play mp3s.  When I try to play files through KDE's kmedia it plays the sample 54 times and ignores my requests to stop until it's finished (no static since adjusting the rplay cache size to 8k in /etc/inetd.conf).  Larger mp3 files played through xmms sometimes play the first few msecs over and over and cause xmms to slowdown in responses to buttonclicks, and sometimes don't play at all.
Also of note, I've configured /etc/modules.conf to use the alsa kernal drivers instead of oss.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks much,
Scott

PS - I've marginally spoofed my address to hide from sp at mm3rs, if this is a breach of etiquette, just lemme know.