[NCLUG] NFS from HPUX to Linux

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Tue May 21 12:43:43 MDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:21:02AM -0600, Mike Loseke wrote:
>  Nah, physics is much cooler than PA/Linux. :-) But doesn't NetBSD (or one
> of those flavors) occupy the spot as "most favored alternate OS" on HP's?

Um, no, not by a long way.  OpenBSD has partial support for the older
machines, Mach has pretty good support for older machines (but good
luck finding it!), NetBSD copied the OpenBSD code into their tree.
FreeBSD doesn't really support other architectures.

PA/Linux is the only free OS which will boot on C100, J200, B1000 & up.
Hell, OpenBSD doesn't even support PCI on any of the PA machines.
Our only major things to get fixed in terms of hardware support are:

 * Remote management card on D/R class
 * K class console
 * Cards on D/K/R class systems which have a PCI bridge on them
 * Fast-wide diff SCSI on 735
 * SMP L3000 / N class

There's some machines we don't support, of course -- E, F, G, H, I, T &
V class servers, and most NIO/CIO devices.  But I don't know of anyone
else who's even close to supporting the range of machines that we do.