[NCLUG] ds: no socket drivers loaded!

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Fri Nov 15 09:16:22 MST 2002

> From: Christopher "C.J." Keist <cjay at engr.colostate.edu>
>   Bus  1, device  10, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink] (rev 116).
>       IRQ 5.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=10.
>       I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc7f].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffcfff80 [0xffcfffff].
>
> Tried both, very strange the card I can see turns itself on and off
> continuely.

yeah, there doesn't appear to be anything substantially wrong with the card, since
eth0 manages to send and recieve a significant number of packets, or at least as
indicated by the eth0 line.

Since it's configured on IRQ 5, there is a good chance it's either a hardware or
software interrupt sharing problem. Check /proc/interrupts - and see if a second
driver is registered on that IRQ. If so, you will probably need to figure out
how to juggle IRQ assignments. Some combination of changes in the BIOS PNP settings
and manual assignments in linux as drivers load will be necessary. Exactly how,
depends a lot on the devices involved and installed on your system.

The other posibilities are still cable/connector problem on the network interface
being flaky, and possibly something changing the default route, so do a "route"
command and double check that.

Have some more fun!
John