[NCLUG] cheap upgrades

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Sun Nov 24 00:23:21 MST 2002

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> I've got a Celeron 400 system with 128MB of PC133 SDRAM running Redhat
> 7.3.  I'm finding it a little slower than I'd like for mpeg video
> encoding (it takes about 9 hours to encode 30 minutes for burning to
> SVCD).  Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap (less than
> $200) upgrade to something around a P4 or Athlon 1GHz?  Or are there
> barebones systems that I should look into instead of upgrading this one?

Unfortunately, as others have implied, you'll need at least a new
motherboard, CPU, and memory to jump to either an Athlon or a P4.  You
might consider building a whole new system.  That's what I did recently.
  P4 2.0Ghz (Northwood), Asus P4B533 motherboard, 256Mb PC2700 DDR
memory (was same price as 2100 memory... for overclocking) plus case
cost right around $400.  Lemme know if you're interested in details.

And there's also Gateway... they have a system with almost the same
specs for $499 minus a $100 rebate = $399

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com