[NCLUG] Database program deployment question

JVergara at equinox.com JVergara at equinox.com
Thu Oct 3 09:26:20 MDT 2002

Hi, guys.  I have a question about  database application deployment,
and I would like to know  your opinions.
I  have a  Windows database application that I'moving to a
client-server design, where the database server is going to be
Postgresql in a Linux box.  The client application is going to be
still Windows based but also I want to have the posibility to have a
browser-based client (maybe using PHP or JSP to query the database). I
want to expose the database server to the Internet using a DSL
connection so windows/web clients installed in computers in different
cities  that are connected via DSL or modem to the Internet  can
access the database server in real time to do transactions.
Each city office has a Linux server acting as Internet
firewall/gateway.
Could you recommend the best and easiest way to have a secure
(encrypted?) and fast response connection  between the clients and the
Postgres database server?

Thanks,

Juan C.