[NCLUG] webhosting question

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Oct 15 19:50:37 MDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:57:09PM +0000, dherr at frii.com wrote:
>If the only way to upload web pages and database files is via ftp (not scp),
>then isn't the username/password sent in "plain text" over the internet?

Yes, FTP (unless it does TLS) is going to send your account name in the
clear.  If they don't do SSH/SCP/SFTP they probably don't have TLS
enabled for FTP.  I'd also be concerned they might not be in a good
position to DETERMINE if they were having problems with that.

If you aren't comfortable with them using technology that's not secure,
select one of the billion other hosting services...

 "All I'm saying is that when I'm around you I find myself showing off,
 which is the idiots version of being interesting."  -- _LA_Story_