[NCLUG] Routing confusion

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Oct 28 20:55:28 MST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:31:48PM -0700, dobbster wrote:
>The router required XMODEM to receive the upgrade.  For some reason,
>minicom kept failing.  I eventually and reluctantly tried it with
>hyperterm and it worked (any idea why this would be?)

Xmodem is not super well defined, there were a number of differences in
implementations -- Xmodem, Xmodem+CRC, Xmodem1K...  I've had no end of
trouble with getting Xmodem and Ymodem working in many cases.  Zmodem
really seems to be the most universal setup.  Basically, Xmodem works
reliably with the software that is used to test it...

>- How do the various files /etc/sysconfig/* affect the routing table
>the machine starts up with?  How am I *supposed* to change default
>gateways, etc.?  I know that the tables are kept in the kernel, but
>how do they load?

Google is your friend:

   http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x971257bd90a9d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
   http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/sysconfig.html

>- Is hacking /etc/rc.d/rc.local an acceptable solution?

Yes.  Though it may not be the preferred mechanism, provided with the
above...

>- I am using ipchains in the IP MASQ setup because of the older kernel
>version.  Does this make any difference?

No.

>- (I've looked, but had trouble finding answers to this...)  If/when I
>get the ISDN box to talk to me, how should I configure the routing
>tables on the machines within the intranet (192.168.0.0)?

They should have a default gateway of the ISDN router, and then the
normal local network route.  That router is capable of doing
masquerading IIRC.

 Just go with the flow control, roll with the crunches, and, when you
 get a prompt, type like hell.