[NCLUG] Finally: an on-topic topic...

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Oct 28 21:56:10 MST 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:31:54AM -0700, Marcio Luis Teixeira wrote:
>I keep getting annoying e-mails like this one:
>> Hi. I have the ASTRA 1220U. It used to work with my old computer under

Yeah, we do too...  Or worse, something like "I just upgraded my system
and I can't get my scanner to work.  Do you have a new driver?"

We used to do "xvscan", which was a scanning add-on to xv.  Fine for the
people running Linux/FreeBSD/BSD OS/Solaris/HP-UX -- platforms we
supported.  We got a lot of people with various Winders that wanted
help, particularly when HP didn't release drivers for the scanner on NT.

Someone suggested we port xvscan to NT because of this.  Yeah, that's
going to happen.  ;-/

Lots of folks wrote to us in a way that made me thin that they thought
we were HP, interestingly enough...  "My scanner broke but it's under
warranty.  Send me a new one."  "I lost the driver disc for this
scanner, send me a replacement."

It honestly seems like some people just plug a few words into a search
engine, click the button, look for an e-mail address on the page while
avoiding the remainder of the content, and send an e-mail message...
Not many people, mind you, but it's amusing to run across these people.

 If you don't believe it's correct before you start testing, what
 could possibly convince you?  -- Don Grimes, 1994