[NCLUG] "red hat - the new redmond?" comment from mainstream online media

Idris S Hamid ishamid at attbi.com
Sat Sep 7 14:38:18 MDT 2002

> The TeX shipped with redhat is 'tetex'. Which as far as I can see is
> GPL'ed. Am I missing something there?

Some teTeX packages are gpl'd by their individual authors, but the core of TeX
as licensed by D. E. Knuth is probably incompatible with the GPL. Any changes
to Knuth's source by anyone other than Knuth cannot be called "TeX" or
"METAFONT", whether during his life or after his death;->

The LaTeX Project Public License is definitely incompatible with the GPL.
LaTeX is of course the most common TeX macropackage. See
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

>again, could you provide a cite for this?

The first stuff u asked me to cite I've done so in response to J Paul; the
other stuff would take some research since it's ancient history but most of
facts underlying my analysis are common knowledge:

Fact1: RH refused to carry KDE in general, _ostensibly_ for free-software
concerns;

Fact2: The German version of RH carried KDE before the change in the QT.
license, _in spite of_ free-software concerns.

The analysis of these facts and conclusions drawn are, of course, my own.

>we see what we want to see, don't we?

If I look towards the moon on a clear night I see it whether I want to or
not;->

Best
Idris
--