[NCLUG] (offtopic) WLAN wardriving in FC

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Sep 26 09:42:21 MDT 2002

Benson Chow wrote:
> I figure this would get to a better tech-filled community, so here I
> wonder if there have been any known wardriving+mapping attempts around
> here, curiosity in how many people have it and how many insecure networks.

Well... we wandered around with a laptop for a few minutes -- I guess
about a year ago.  The only one that really sticks in my mind is that
Lightsource Interactive could be clearly received at the corner of
College and Mountain.  I imagine it is quite a bit more crowded in Old
Town, now.

We didn't try to connect through it, we just detected it.

You might tag along with the intrusions at incidents.org list -- there was
a recent conversation about just this problem.  Netstumbler is an active
scanner, and could possibly show up on logs.  Some of the other ones are
strictly passive, and you can't tell they are listening (and in the case
of Airsnort, decrypting your WEP key).

I'd send you a link, but apparently, the list archives aren't available
yet.  http://www.incidents.org/

> Just curious...  but I guess I should change WEP keys more often.

Don't count on the key too much.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that
you should just firewall off a wireless subnet, leave it open, and
consider it an unsafe zone.  Use SSH and other encryption on top of it.
  Then, you also get the somewhat warm fuzzy feeling of also allowing
someone else to use your AP...  Assuming you want that. :)