[NCLUG] Newbie programming help

mrbrown8 at juno.com mrbrown8 at juno.com
Sat Apr 12 18:45:46 MDT 2003

Hi everyone,

Sorry to impose on the list. I've been wanting to improve my programming
skills so I've taken the initiative to learn using wxWindows as opposed
to the MFC that I use from work. Along the way, I found what looks like a
real neat IDE, Anjuta (www.anjuta.org). It just happens to support
projects of type wxWindows. When I was trying all of this out, I was able
to create a new wxWindows project, compile it, and run it. Granted, all
it would do is display a blank dialog box, but it was a start for me.
Lately, I've been having problems doing that; I'm getting Make errors and
I don't know why. I am familar with makefiles and what they're supposed
to do. But I'm not keen on things like autoconf, automake, gettext, etc.

So, here's my problem. I tell Anjuta to built my project and this is what
it's telling me:
> Building source directory of the Project: wxLLVH ...
> make --keep-going --warn-undefined-variables
> Makefile:180: warning: undefined variable `ACLOCAL_M4'
> Makefile:183: warning: undefined variable `BUILT_SOURCES'
> Makefile:263: warning: undefined variable `HEADERS'
> Makefile:263: warning: undefined variable `LISP'
> Makefile:271: warning: undefined variable `HEADERS'
> Makefile:271: warning: undefined variable `TAGS_DEPENDENCIES'
> Makefile:271: warning: undefined variable `LISP'
> Makefile:294: warning: undefined variable `HEADERS'
> Makefile:294: warning: undefined variable `TEXINFOS'
> Makefile:294: warning: undefined variable `EXTRA_DIST'
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> Build completed...............Successful
> Total time taken: 0 secs

I would include the makefile for all to see, but it's kinda large, ~450
lines and ~14kb in size. I didn't think that would be kosher on a mailing
list. Here's parts of it though:

  # Generated automatically from Makefile.in by configure.
  # Makefile.in generated automatically by automake 1.4-p5 from
Makefile.am
  SHELL = /bin/sh

  srcdir = .
  top_srcdir = .
  prefix = /usr/local
  exec_prefix = ${prefix}
  SUBDIRS = intl po src

  wxllvhdocdir = ${prefix}/doc/wxLLVH
  wxllvhdoc_DATA = \
	README\
	COPYING\
	AUTHORS\
	ChangeLog\
	INSTALL\
	NEWS\
	TODO\
	ABOUT-NLS

  EXTRA_DIST = $(wxllvhdoc_DATA)
  ACLOCAL_M4 = $(top_srcdir)/aclocal.m4
  mkinstalldirs = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/mkinstalldirs
  CONFIG_HEADER = config.h
  CONFIG_CLEAN_FILES =
  DATA =  $(wxllvhdoc_DATA)

Sorry for the long message. Can someone give me some pointers where to
start looking? Many thanks in advance.

--
Curtis Brown  =8)
mrbrown8 at juno.com