[NCLUG] PalmOS + Linux

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Mon Apr 28 09:55:58 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 14:43, dobbster wrote:

> Well anyway, I've poked around and found some things that seem to be
> PalmOS apps.  In particular, I noticed http://palm.freshmeat.net.
> Still, I can't quite find basic synchronization software.  I'd be
> willing to switch to a different calendaring system and/or office suite
> - even MS Outlook for Linux! :-)

My current favorite is jpilot (http://jpilot.org).  It's pretty simple
and basic, but it always works, and I love the backup feature (It'll
take a complete snapshot of your palm device, that you can restore later
if you ever crash your device).

You can also use the evolution conduits with gnome-pilot.  It's a very
nice setup, and I really like evolution, but in my experience, the
evolution conduits have been really flaky (so I don't trust them to
backup my palm data, and I ended up using jpilot anyway ;o).

There is also KPilot (http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home/), which is
a KDE application that synchronizes your palm with KOrganizer (and other
KDE apps IIRC).  I don't know much about it, as I've never used it.

Anyway, that should get you started...

> I purchased a USB/9-pin serial adapter, so I can use either USB nor
> serial (although I do not own a USB hub).

USB works nicely for me (I use a Sony Clie).  You'll need to make sure
the "visor" kernel module is loaded (along with the appropriate driver
for your particular usb controller <i.e. usb-uhci or usb-ohci>), and
you'll also need to make sure the usbserial driver is loaded (although
visor usually depends on usbserial).

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>