[NCLUG] Visor troubleshooting...

Khalid Aziz khalid_aziz at hp.com
Mon Apr 28 15:09:00 MDT 2003

Brett Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 14:11, dobbster wrote:
>
> > I suspect the issue has something to do with hot-plugging.
> > /var/log/messages reads:
> >
> > Apr 28 13:43:08 dobbster68 kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
> > bus1/2, assigned device number 7
> > Apr 28 13:43:08 dobbster68 kernel: usb.c: USB device 7 (vend/prod
> > 0x830/0x50) is not claimed by any active driver.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Ugh, looks like the usbserial driver doesn't recognize your device.  Did
> you say this was a new Zire?  Might be 'cause the Zire is a new device
> (and palm changed the vendor/product ids).  From perusing the
> usbserial.c source, it wasn't immediately apparent where the table of
> vendor/product ids is stored.  Maybe there's someone who is familiar
> with the usb architecture on the list that could help?

Vendor and device IDs are listed in drivers/usb/serial/visor.h. Product
ID for M130 has been in the kernel since 2.4.19 atleast. 2.4.8 is fairly
ancient kernel. Try upgrading to 2.4.19 or newer. If you can't, you can
try adding M130 ID to visor.h as follows:

#define PALM_M130_ID                    0x0050

Recompile visor.o and try loading the new visor.o.

--
Khalid

Khalid Aziz                                Linux and Open Source Lab
(970)898-9214                                        Hewlett-Packard
khalid at hp.com                                       Fort Collins, CO

"The Linux kernel is subject to relentless development"
				- Alessandro Rubini