[NCLUG] NCLUG digest, Vol 1 #1002 - 6 msgs

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Tue Aug 19 21:36:27 MDT 2003

Bob wrote:
>At least that is something.  Did you sniff with tcpdump?  Did you look
>at the iptable log output?  I am sure that within that information
>will be the root of your trouble.

I haven't looked at tcpdump with my wife's machine but in all honesty
it's spewing so much stuff out I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Where's the iptable log output?

>I would take his advice, and mine too, with a grain of salt.

I'm bumbling.

Anyway, here's the part of the ipchain stuff that's related to ipsec,
I think, on the latest version of smoothwall I just installed.  Does
it let ESP and AH protocols through?

  ipchains -A block -p udp -i $RED_DEV -d $RED_ADDRESS/$RED_NETMASK 500 -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A block -p 47 -i $RED_DEV -d $RED_ADDRESS/$RED_NETMASK -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A block -p 50 -i $RED_DEV -d $RED_ADDRESS/$RED_NETMASK -j ACCEPT
  ipchains -A block -p 51 -i $RED_DEV -d $RED_ADDRESS/$RED_NETMASK -j ACCEPT

RED_xxx is the cable modem side of the firewall.  Doesn't there need
to be something specifying the source side or the inside of the
firewall, too?  It seems to me it's just letting those packets out.
On the other hand, I'm claiming cluelessness on this.

Matt