[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Aug 20 16:02:29 MDT 2003

Thus spake jbass at dmsd.com:

> The claim by Sean, and responded to by you, that SCO was claiming there were
> millions of lines copied is to the best of my knowledge false, and none of
> your quotes seem to support Sean's claims.

 Then we are all in agreement on at least one point: SCO's claims are
less than accurate.

 As to backing up Sean's claim, my point was to illustrate that the sheer
amount of code which SCO claims to be infringing upon their (recently
registered) copyrights is 2/3 of the total amount of code contributed to
the kernel between versions 2.2 and 2.4 (~1.5 million lines different) and
"millions" is plural, meaning 2 or more. So not only are they engaging in
hyperbole but they are claiming that very little work was actually done by
kernel contributors between these versions. I apologize for only providing
reading material earlier.

 Discussing the accurate count of infringing lines, copied or derivative,
is not only impossible because SCO refuses to show them in such a way that
their claims can be verified but also because they continue to use
non-specific language in order to cloud the issues - certainly not
convincing enough for a company like mine to pay $720K (or more) to SCO
before a court of law says I have to, which I very much doubt will ever
come to pass. Sean was simply referring to the same "millions" of lines
of code that Mr. Sontag himself stated were involved (which Sean himself
said seemed high). We are just trying to interpret the language being used
by SCO to be able to put it into some frame of reference.

--
   Mike Loseke    | Users are simply nature's way of
 mike at verinet.com | keeping me from hogging the processor.