[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Aug 23 01:35:56 MDT 2003

Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> writes:

I don't like everything SCO has done either ... but I also understand
why they have done certain things after the Linux community went
into a rage about the IBM suit.

We are really not as far apart as it might seem. The propaganda by
those supporting IBM (and other major corporate iron vendors) has
been deceitful at best, to cover up obvious violations agains SCO's
rights. Their "alliance" with open software is likely only to flurish
as long as it serves their short term needs, which is to take down
SCO and Microsoft and bring operating system software back into the
hands of big iron companies. In the end they need to regain control
of their hardware/software IP to minimize market share threats and
lock in their customers with targeted proprietary value added.

I'm clueless why the linux community is trying to protect the
largest gready corporations in the US ... it's not because they
have any sincere long term interest in free software.

Now some in this forum have asserted that SCO's position is completely
without merit, and others outside our community have used this forum
to slander SCO without merit and post grossly false and missleading
"facts" about the merits of the case.

I strongly suspect that if significant portions of the Linux community
were helping the tiny underdog SCO here, that SCO would help the Linux
community instead responding tit for tat because of the shit being
piled on them for attacking IBM.

Now if anybody still strongly believes that SCO's concerns and rights
in this case are completely without merit regarding derivative code
rights and the state of the law regarding IP, trade secrets, and
copyright I'll be happy to continue to provide references and balance
to this discussion.

I *AM* a Linux supporter, but I also strongly believe in being fair,
honest, and moral ... with the belief that we all should try hard to
"just do the right thing". IBM is not doing the right thing here, and
the dollars they expect will ultimately come out of our pockets. DITTO
for a half dozen other major corporate Linux kernel contributors.

John