[NCLUG] Help with bootloading HP Kayak

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Feb 11 14:28:02 MST 2003

>>>>> "James" == James Cizek <jcizek at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU> writes:

James>  Hello all,

James>   I am new to the list so if I am doing this wrong, please let
James> me know!

Welcome... :)

James>   I am almost hairless now over this problem.  I have an HP
James> Kayak XU800 workstation (twin PIII 800Mhz procs, 1 Gig RIMM,
James> Adaptec AIC-7XXX Ultra 160 SCSI controller) that I am trying to
James> dual boot between Win2K and Slackware 8.1 Linux.  I have Win2k
James> on the first (and only) partition of the first disk (9 gig) and
James> Linux on three partitions of the second drive (9 gig) and a
James> third drive free.  I have the latest BIOS updates.  The latest
James> SCSI BIOS updates, the latest chipset updates.  First I tried
James> LILO in the MBR.  No joy, it loads the L and then pukes out
James> tons of 10101010101 across the screen.  Then I tried LILO in
James> the suberblock of the root Linux partition.  dd'd the
James> bootsector out and copied it over to win2k adding a line in
James> boot.ini to boot it.  Same result.  L and it freaks out.  Then
James> I tried GRUB.  Grub also only loads the first stage of the
James> bootloader and then hangs!!  The windows partition will boot on
James> it's own.  The linux partition will boot from a bootdisk with
James> SYSLINUX, will boot from a boot disk with GRUB and the Win2K
James> partition will boot with the Grub bootdisk also.

James>   No matter what boot loader I use, it seems to boot the first
James> 512 bytes fine (Stage 1) and then will not pass control to
James> stage 2.

James>   I have written to about every newsgroup, program author, HP,
James> you name it and I cannot figure this out.  I went into BIOS and
James> set everything to defaults (just to be sure....)  SCSI BIOS is
James> all defaults and is set to boot SCSI ID 0 LUN 0.  (Which it
James> does when win2k is in the MBR)

James>   I also tried sticking an IDE drive in as MASTER/PRIMARY and
James> loading linux alone on it.  LILO to the MBR.  Same result.  L
James> and 10101010101

James>   Any ideas??  It seems BIOS or disk geometry related but I am
James> fresh out of new and old ideas at this point!!  Thanks for any
James> suggestions!!

Yeah, I saw this same error here last night. It was an addressing
issue here.

See if your bios or SCSI controller will let you change the addressing
scheme. Often the choices are "LBA", "CHS", "Large" and "Auto".
I had mine set to CHS, and got this same error. When I changed it to
LBA and re-ran lilo everything worked fine...

I don't know if scsi drives let you change that addressing, but that
was the problem on the IDE drive I was looking at last night.

Hope that helps.

kevin