[NCLUG] Is VRML dead?

shane at bogomip.com shane at bogomip.com
Mon Jan 27 16:58:03 MST 2003

In my world VRML is very much alive.

I do tons of modelling and rendering of meshes given to my by companies
around town. The best way to send the mesh data so that I can grok it in
whatever program is by using VRML 1.x mesh standards, much like XML is the
glue inbetween most programs nowadays.

As far as good viewers and modellers, Blender :) Seek out this program if
you would like play with VRML in general, it is a magnificent multi-platform
modelling program.  I use it on-site to show people and interact with people
what I am seeing/invisioning for their project..  I carry the models and a
blender binary for doze on a CDR so I can just pop it in and show people the
who what on what I am working on.

VRweb is a great program for exploring VRML 1.0 and possibly 2.0, it has
lacking accelleration for something that uses libgl, makes me wonder what
else they are doing.  On the plus it handles large meshes very well.

As far as interaction here is a crowd pleaser, Python.  I have done mesh
transformations using blender for the renderer its support for Python for
the IO against a massive selection of inputs devices, all built on top of a
python library I am working on. So far I have Rotated and Transformed
cameras.. objects.. well just about anything with input controls like
joysticks, mice, keyboard, lasers (don't ask I was bored).

I use it to visualize everything and soon will be using it to do all sorts
of fun projects like detailed mapping and viewing of shorelines and the sea
bottom.  Is this the part of the VRML mentality you were looking to find?

Take care (as I throw my 2 cents into the hat)

Shane Spencer