[NCLUG] SpamAssassin Testimonials?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Jul 25 00:19:59 MDT 2003

J. Paul Reed wrote:
> Bob Proulx arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>
> > Impressively large numbers.  Are you using any RBLs too?  If not then I
> > suggest using a list of open relays and blocking them as well.  That
> > might cut your numbers down significantly.  With open relay lists there
> > is very little collateral damage since the tests are fully automated.
>
> I, and many others, have problems with RBLs because whenever you have a
> central organization determining what constitutes spam and how much of an
> address block to block, you have a political problem.

Note that I specifically separated those RBLs into open relay lists
and reported spam lists just for that reason.  The open relay lists
are automated and people's sensibilities or lack thereof don't factor
into them.  They also only list IPs and not net blocks.  Those have
very good reliability.  (Because of my ordering they probably were not
getting the percentages that they would have seen if they were checked
first.  I just changed that and over the next few weeks will get
updated statistics.)  You should consider them separately from the
reported spam lists.

I personally have had good luck with SpamCop as a reported spam list.
But since people are involved in that loop I know there can be
problems.  I know that it has been in and out of people's ire at
different times.  But currently it is the best list for blocking
spammers.  It works for me.  YMMV.

Bob