[NCLUG] Linux Jobs around Ft. C?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jul 30 17:38:08 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:33:31PM -0400, DJ Eshelman wrote:
>with only one external IP address using NAT in your firewall.  I described
>the process of using internal DNS and such; no need to go into detail here,
>you all know what I'm talking about, and anyway he proceeded to tell me
>that it in fact couldn't be done without two seperate external IP addresses.

It sounds like you were off base with the DNS, but things like ipmasqadm
or the IPVS capability can certainly be used to have multiple SMTP/POP
servers handling queries on a single IP address on the firewall machine.
I've done this sort of setup with IPVS, and done the same thing for
load-balancing a web server using ipmasqadm.  I believe that ipmasqadm
has been deprecated, but it looks like you can do something similar with
the DNAT stuff:

   You can add several --to-destination options.  If you specify more than
   one destination address, either via  an  address range  or multiple
   --to-destination  options,  a simple round-robin (one after another
   in cycle) load balancing takes place between these adresses.

Just FYI.  Linux routing and firewalling capabilities are amazingly powerful.

 You know you're in Canada when:  A radio advertisement comes on advertising
 "Buy a case of beer, get a free touque."