[NCLUG] At the risk of being kicked off the list my first day back...

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Jun 2 16:41:13 MDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:22:12AM -0600, Jeff wrote:
>I'm trying to install some apps on my Red Hat 9 box.  The system is
>completely up to date, wherein lies the issue.  A few of the apps
>require libcrypto.so.2 to be installed, but the latest versions of
>openssl do not use it anymore - it is now libcrypto.so.4.  Is there any

One option that often works is to get the .src.rpm and build a binary
RPM for your system using "rpmbuild --rebuild packagename.src.rpm".
This will build the binary RPMs to match the libraries that are actually
installed on your system.

However, in this case you don't necessarily have to...  Red Hat provides
a compatible library in the package "openssl096b", which provides the
libcrypto.so.2 file.

 A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
                -- Joseph Campbell