[NCLUG] DRI...

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 3 09:22:52 MDT 2003

I got DRI just barely working on my laptop a while back (i830m-based).  I
didn't take down what scores I got from glxgears(1, but I know sproingies
(part of xscreensaver) got a much higher FPS overall.  I force-installed
XFree86 4.2 when it just came out over RH72's 4.1 to get it working, so
this is a quite old installation.  I still have two issues - one, I can't
use more than 8MB RAM that was dedicated for shared video ram on bootup.
This limits me to 16bpp at 1024x768 (LCD size).  Not a *big* deal, I
guess.

The next problem is that it crashes for no apparent reason after running
for a while.  This, probably is a problem ;-)  I should just upgrade to
4.3 - since the setup I have just barely works, lots of warnings, hacks,
etc...

And of course my desktop with a GF4MX420.  Yeah. I know, it sucks.  I hate
it saying "Tainted" when I lsmod(8) but at least I got the card for
free... and it blows the i830m away, even at 24bpp 1280x1024...

-bc