[NCLUG] Spamassassin with qmail

k.h.olson at att.net k.h.olson at att.net
Wed Jun 4 14:59:31 MDT 2003

> On 04 Jun 2003 at 10:39:04, Erich moved bits on my disk to say:
>
> > Hello - Anyone integrated spamassassin with an existing qmail install?  I
> > need some solution for the junk that our accounts are getting.  Any
> > suggestions?
>
> Get qmail to talk to procmail (i.e. use it as a local delivery agent), and
> you're done.

Since each user has a .qmail file, it is very simple to have qmail send to
a procmail system.

Example .qmail file:
# CHECK ALL MESSAGES FOR SPAM
#  create your own .procmailrc to tweak.
|preline /usr/bin/procmail

Then each user has their own .procmailrc file

Example file:
:0fw
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc

:0

Then the only trick is getting the spam deamon to deliver to the Maildir,
and things are good.

A couple of things I've had to do:
1)Adjust the default spam level down. I think it started at 7.5 or something,
but we've adjusted it to 6.
2)Teach all the users about the importance of the .qmail file. The qmail
program guarantees it will execute the instructions in the .qmail file.
However, if the .qmail file causes stuff to head into the ether, well
then the mail heads into the ether. So, it is important the the .qmail not
have the execute bit set, that the spam system is running, and so forth
else mail can vanish.

Also, be sure to google (or yahoo, or whatever) for qmail and spamassasin.
The qmail mailing list deals with questions at least once a week on
the subject.

> Granted, I use Postfix (I don't feel like dealing with DJB's constant and
> consistent bullshit), so I don't know how to do that. It's easy with
> Postfix. I don't know how easy it is with qmail.

While DJB does believe that his way is better, he also
has created a very fast and reliable mail system.

Good luck!

Kevin