[NCLUG] Who am I/Satellite Access?!?

Frank Cabrera inph0e at linuxmail.org
Thu Mar 6 20:42:33 MST 2003

Hello, my name is Frank Cabrera. I'm new to the LUG, coming from Cheyenne, WY. - Originally from Miami, FL (A bit different in weather/culture) - The Air Force (Finance career field) is definetely showing me the world! I use SuSE Personal 8.1 on my laptop, and run SlackWare 7.1 on two old PII machines, one of which hosts my website (on cable through dynamic dns) www.917labs.com. Missed the last meeting due to work, but look forward to the meeting on April. Anyhow, enough of the intro.

Setup costs on satelite are a bit outrageous. Not to mention the 36 month commitment.

Just a thought: You might want to look into setting up your own mini-neighborhood 802.11b wireless isp, if you have the time and patience. The T1 cost can be shared amoungst its users, and everyone will have plenty of bandwidth, and if outgrows its userbase, well, you've got yourself a business :-).

Example:
http://www.letterrip.com/WAJ_Archive/000051.html