[NCLUG] ssh question

Robie Lutsey robiel at tgstech.com
Fri Mar 14 19:47:28 MST 2003

I am trying to set up a tunnel via ssh to allow users at a remote site
to see an internal webserver.

I thought I could set up a gateway there listening on port xxxx.  And
when you pointed a browser at it,

It would forward that connection to my local web server. Something like
this:

                                        __________

                                      /                      \

                                     /                         \

   remote                       |   internet             |
local

       ^ port xxxx              \                        /
listening on port 80

remote user

http://remote-gateway:xxxx <http://remote-gateway:xxxx/>

where remote gateway is running something like:

ssh -N -f -L xxxx:local-server:80 user at local-server

as it turns out when I try this I get connection refused.

What am I missing?