[NCLUG] Help - machine died!

Erich mojo_head at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 11:58:45 MST 2003

A machine running Krud 7.2 died early this morning.

Re-boot fails as it cannot mount /proc filesystem.  Using
the "linux rescue" feature of a 7.3 disc, I have mounted
and verified that the /proc fs is intact.

It appears that mount/umount has gone missing.

I get the error 'execvp cannot find mount/umount' - or
something close to that.  When issuing shutdown,
/etc/rc.d0/S10Halt issues same error.

The machine has both RH2.4.9-13SMP and RH2.4.9-13 on it.
Both fail identically.

In addition, all current message logs are blank.  I have
nothing after march 9th.  This is odd/suspicious.  An
automated check that generates email on error indicates
that the machine died slowly (over several hours).  This
would seem to me to be unlike a crack signature, which I
assume would happen suddenly.

It seems like much if not all of the fs is intact.  Any
ideas on ressurecting this thing?

Erich

=====
<-- begin shameless plug -->

TRANSITIVE NIGHTFALL - THE Jamband Show
Wednesday's: 7pm -10 pm - 88.9FM KRFC FM
Ft. Collins, Colorado.

<-- end shameless plug -->