Spam! AGAIN!! Re: [NCLUG] nclug.org

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Mar 27 18:11:53 MST 2003

J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2003 at 10:21:49, James DeWitt moved bits on my disk to say:
>

>>I switched to "only allow subscribers to post" for twelve hours a couple
>>of weeks ago.  During that time, no spam was received and all the posts
>>were held for moderation because subscribers sent them from alternate
>>email addresses.  This is clearly unworkable.
>
> This is a "user head space" problem, not an NCLUG mailing list problem.
>
> Give it a few weeks, or notify people which addresses they're subbed under
> as the bounces occur.
>
> It'll fix itself.

I concur.

All the other mailing lists I'm on (40 or so) are Closed lists and
somebody checks the owner queue every day or two and forwards the
legitimate messages with a standard(ish) header noting that the address
was not subscribe and to please use the subscribed address.  It's also
not hard with most mailing list managers to have alternate addresses in
an authorized poster list that are allowed straight through but don't
receive list traffic.  I'm all for making NCLUG a closed list.

All this means is a little bit of work for someone.  Putting my money
where my mouth is, I'll volunteer to take care of the moderation side of
this if nobody else (Paul?) is interested.  Spam Assassin is great (I
run it on my MTAs for local mail delivery), but is not perfect, and not
really well suited for mailing lists, IMHO.  As good as SA is, there's
always the possibility that legitimate messages get marked as spam.  And
it seems that is the crux of the issue.  "That's just not natural."

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com