Spam! AGAIN!! Re: [NCLUG] nclug.org

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Mar 27 21:10:01 MST 2003

quent wrote:
> If the mailing list software automatically responds to posts from
> non-subscribers to say "hey, you need to subscribe", and the SPAM posting
> is from a bogus address, won't that be a royal pain, with all the bounces
> and perpetual mail from MAILER-DAEMON?

Correct.  The queue will be full of junk that'll double-bounce after a
few days.  I wouldn't set it up to have any sort of auto-response to
unauthorized messages sent to the list, just diverted to the owner queue
for action.

> If it's not automatic then someone
> will have a daily job to do.

Yup.  And I'm volunteering.  Pretty straightforward to sift through a
mailbox, find legitimate stuff, forward those, then dump the rest.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com