[NCLUG] php & mysql on frii

Daniel Herrington dherr at frii.com
Sat Mar 29 15:24:14 MST 2003

Hopefully someone else has been through this and can help me out. I want
to set up a news website using PHP and MySQL on FRII. They gave me a
database, which I can administrate using my secure shell login id. How
can I keep my db.inc (the php include file that lists the database,
user, password) from being readable by other users who also have shell
access? I tried doing "chmod 600 db.inc" to make it readable only by me,
but then the web server can't access it. Also, I wanted to set up
multiple MySQL users for my database, but it looks like it's not
possible, since I get an "ERROR 1044: Access denied for user" when I try
to "grant select on <database>.* to guest".

My goal is to have a website that anyone can browse and see the current
events, but only the administrator can add/edit/delete events. Has
anyone else successfully set up a similar MySQL/PHP site on FRII's
servers? I tried calling tech support, but the guy I talked to didn't
know anything about setting up such things.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
Daniel Herrington, Electrical Engineer