[NCLUG] keeping a linux distribution up-to-date

dann frazier dannf at dannf.org
Thu May 8 22:11:36 MDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:05:29PM -0700, Matt Taggart wrote:

> "J. Paul Reed" writes...
>
> > Granted, it would be a nightmare if you had to manage 100s of desktop
> > machines or webhosting drone boxes that way... although I've heard there
> > are (though not explored) ways around that using source-based distros, too.
>
> SystemImager would be one good way, I think it should work with
> whatever bits you're using, however they got on the disk.

in fact, we've had some gentoo folks on irc getting sis to build/work within
the gentoo architecture.  dunno how far they've gotten.  sis deals w/
file based images, so packaging (or lack thereof) isn't an issue.
tools are provided to optionally create these images directly from a set of
rpms/debs, in order to keep things maintainable, but the idea is to only suffer
the package installation/configuration steps once, and replicate the result.